[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-133: No Volunteer Services on Behalf of Unaffiliated Address Blocks

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 17:40:39 EST 2011

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 2:31 PM, John Springer <springer at inlandnet.com> wrote:
> Developing policy that defines the relationship between legacy holders and
> ARIN will have to be forgone, in my opinion, if a side effect can be in any
> way construed as resembling a stick. It's just not called for.

It's clearly a major political negative, in that it antagonizes touchy
relationships with legacy holders.

If there were clear financial issues for ARIN with supporting services
not paid for by IP owners, that would be a valid argument for the
proposal, but I've never seen such an argument made.

If there were clear operational issues with the legacies that this
would address, that would be a valid argument for the proposal, but
I've never seen any of those.  As pointed out by others, it introduces
operational uncertainty if anything, as the legacy WHOIS services are
disabled.

If your goal is to promote discussion with and engaging with legacies,
that's fine, but you haven't justified shaking this big a stick at
them

It comes down to a policy question and a legal question.  And those
are touchy in multifaceted ways, that this proposal doesn't help in
any way, other than pushing the question forwards more actively and
provocatively.

I oppose.

--
-george william herbert