[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-133: No Volunteer Services on Behalf of Unaffiliated Address Blocks

John Santos JOHN at egh.com
Mon Feb 14 15:08:11 EST 2011

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011, ARIN wrote:

> 13.1. No Volunteer Services
>
> Except in the specific circumstances described by this policy, ARIN will
> not provide any services for any organization and/or address block. This
> includes without limitation all directory services, reverse mapping
> services, and future services that may be provided to the community.
>
> 13.1.1.  Requested Services
>
> In the event that an organization explicitly requests registry services
> from ARIN for one or more specified address blocks, ARIN may provide the
> requested services, subsequent to execution of a service contract, for
> those address blocks. This includes without limitation all directory
> services, reverse mapping services, and future services that may be
> provided to the community.
>
> All address blocks that are assigned or allocated by ARIN under a valid
> RSA, as well as specific address blocks that are included under a Legacy
> RSA with the legitimate validated address holder, are deemed to have
> services requested for them.
>
> An organization requesting registry services for one or more specified
> address blocks, that also holds additional address blocks not specified
> in their request, is not obligated to receive registry services for
> those additional address blocks and those blocks are not deemed to have
> services requested for them.

1) This is an opt-in, not an opt-out policy.  You might discover that
lots of legacy holders will get very pissed off if their reverse DNS
suddenly goes away.  I know I would.

2) There didn't seem to be any provision for notifying legacy holders
of this change in policy.  I certainly wouldn't know about it if I
didn't subscribe to this mailing list.

3) It isn't clear if legacy holders *MUST* sign an LRSA (or move to a
regular RSA) to retain Whois, RDNS, etc. or not.

4) What is the point of this?

I'm against.

--
John Santos