[arin-ppml] [arin-announce] [Fwd: ARIN-prop-133: No Volunteer Services on Behalf of Unaffiliated Address Blocks]

Edward Lewis Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz
Mon Feb 14 14:33:37 EST 2011

I re-subscribed (after 2 1/2 years) just to say that I am opposed to
this proposal.

>ARIN-prop-133: No Volunteer Services on Behalf of Unaffiliated Address
>Blocks
>
>Proposal Originator: Benson Schliesser
>
>Proposal Version: 1
>
>Date: 13 February 2011
>
>Proposal type: New

I don't remember when, but my opposition to this the last time (I
remember) this idea came around went something like this:

1. My membership in ARIN is funding my ability to find out who is
sending me packets.  (Assuming no forging of the header.)

2. My membership in ARIN is ensuring my number resources are uniquely
assigned to me.

3. Having to register my contact information is not a privilege or a
right but a requirement and a responsibility.

4. I consider it ARIN's responsibility to keep track of "who" is
assigned "what" resources (even if that means federating
responsibility to other RIRs and NIRs).

Removing information about legitimate resource holders that are not
paying ARIN (whether legitimately not paying or just behind on their
bills) is detrimental to those that are paying.

If the effort is to entice legacy space holders into joining ARIN,
don't try to penalize them.  Give them a positive incentive.

At 13:17 -0600 2/14/11, Benson Schliesser wrote:

>Having said that, I can understand that some legacy address holders will
>want to continue receiving services from ARIN, including Whois and
>in-addr DNS.  The LRSA is one way to facilitate that without an ambiguous
>relationship.  We may also want to propose an alternative mechanism,
>assuming that the LRSA is unappealing, but I have not included that in
>prop 133 at this time.

The faulty logic here is in identifying who is "receiving services
from ARIN."  The relying parties that hit the whois and DNS servers
are not only the holders of number resource but anyone that sends a
packet in the Internet.  The vast majority of these people do not
have any number resources registered to them.

Edward Lewis
NeuStar                    You can leave a voice message at +1-571-434-5468

Me to infant son: "Waah! Waah! Is that all you can say?  Waah?"
Son: "Waah!"