[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-131: Section 5.0 Legacy Addresses

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 09:55:28 EST 2011

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 6:22 PM, Chris Grundemann <cgrundemann at gmail.com> wrote:

[ snip ]

> Marty - Can you shed some light onto why this is (and needs to be)
> limited to legacy space? I don't see a need for the distinction but
> could certainly be missing something.

Chris,

In the past, we've heard numerous ARIN folks talking about "clear
instructions from the community".

Right now, we have multiple global policies circulating trying to
determine what should be done with ipv4 legacy addresses in the ARIN
region.

ARIN has always treated IPv4 legacy addresses different (LRSA, etc)
and our discussions make distinctions between "RSA" and "legacy
holders".

There is likely some minor, but necessary policy required to make
whatever will transpire with legacy addresses acceptable and workable
to all.

This would be a clear instruction that would leave no ambiguity with
respect to what the community wants ARIN to do with legacy addresses.
This proposal leaves noone wondering what will happen to addresses
returned to ARIN and it codifies the requirement.

Is there a problem with resources already in ARIN's possession being
returned to "inventory"? If there is, in the interest of clarity, I
think it would be better to submit an ASCP item or propose something
specific IMHO.

I've softened this enough to hopefully clarify it's intent. As a side
benefit, it should also encourage people writing global policies to
work together.

Best,

-M<

Best,