[arin-ppml] "Leasing" of space via non-connectivity providers (was: Re: And so it ends... )

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Feb 10 18:11:45 EST 2011

On Feb 10, 2011, at 6:40 PM, Benson Schliesser wrote:
> On Feb 10, 2011, at 4:27 PM, William Herrin wrote:
>
>> What authority does ARIN have? Try announcing a route to addresses
>> ARIN has registered to someone else. See how long it lasts. ARIN has
>> precisely the authority that the folks who operate the Internet choose
>> to give it.
>
> Right - ARIN is a non-profit business league incorporated under U.S. law in Virginia.  So, ARIN is hardly comparable to a state government, tax authority, etc.  Further, ARIN is subject to the same liability as any other non-governmental actor.  (This might include anti-trust, price fixing, etc, but more to the point would also include liability for property theft, fraud, direct and incidental damages, etc.)

Correct.  A good reason for any organization not to engage in such things
(in addition to the moral reasons not to :-)

> Don't get me wrong - I support ARIN's role in the community.  My argument is that extending that role into behaviors that might be illegal is a dangerous idea.

Not a problem at all, but the advice is always appreciated.  We'd appreciate
clarity from the community in how they'd like the subject of "leasing" handled,
since we ultimately have to must the resources accordingly to the community-
developed policies.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran