[arin-ppml] is NAT an inevitabile part of IPv4 / IPv6 transition

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Tue Feb 8 17:31:36 EST 2011

On 2/8/2011 4:14 PM, Tony Hain wrote:
> FWIW: IANA would have run out 2 years ago if the RIRs had not changed their
> behavior of maintaining 2 years of projected need as a local pool. In other
> words, we could have focused global attention to the issue with time to do a
> dual-stack deployment, but people wanted to put off the inevitable as long
> as possible, so we are now stuck with the result.

Yeah, the problem with reducing the need isn't so much when you run out,
but how much you have at your disposal when you run out. It would have
been better to hit the crunch with 2 year supplies to allow time for a
more graceful cutover (as public companies require market pressure to
actually cut, as their interests are in the stock holders).

Jack