[arin-ppml] "Leasing" of space via non-connectivity providers (was: Re: And so it ends... )

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Feb 4 14:27:20 EST 2011

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 4:21 PM, George Bonser <gbonser at seven.com> wrote:
> I agree with this.  Unless something is broken, ARIN has
> enough to do without attempting to enforce philosophical positions.

Hi George,

ARIN has always enforced a philosophical position:

IP addresses go to those with justified technical need.
IP addresses are not property.

Address leasing without ARIN in the loop holds the prospect of
demolishing those principles, far more so than paid address transfers
with the recipient explicitly evaluated by ARIN. At least with the
transfers the "legal fiction" is relatively close to the reality: that
you're paying someone the one time cost of altering his network to
consume fewer addresses. What fiction for leasing meets those two
principles?

A potential is not a reality. Scott's right about wait-and-see. BUT,
from the ounce of prevention worth a pound of cure corner, it might be
helpful for ARIN to signal early that address leasing in the absence
of a healthy transfer market would be treated as a public policy
problem to be solved to the detriment of the lessors. If it does no
more than cause the leasing companies to set a buy price for every
assignment, we'll have avoided the worst of the danger.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004