[arin-ppml] Borders sells their /16 block

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Dec 7 18:50:52 EST 2011

On Dec 7, 2011, at 7:35 PM, Martin Hannigan wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 6:31 PM, Stephen Sprunk <stephen at sprunk.org> wrote:
>> On 07-Dec-11 17:28, Martin Hannigan wrote:
>>> You also don't have to be a lawyer to understand that no one is going to buy addresses for almost $1M or transfer a deposit without some assurances that ARIN won't be able to later take them away.
>>
>> ... and those assurances are provided by the LRSA the buyer signs, not
>> by the bankruptcy court.
>
> I don't doubt it. But I do doubt that "all" ARIN policies are being
> enforced or interpreted as they may with you or I outside of such a
> proceeding.

All of ARIN's policies are enforced to all parties.  Martin is correct
that both the current RSA and LRSA both have reclamation language which
may concern parties receiving resources obtained by specific transfer.

The ARIN community should realize as a practical matter that resource
reclamation based on purely on future policy considerations (as opposed
to fraud, for example) pretty much has to be precluded for parties to
have any certainty in their ability to obtain resources via specified
transfer.

The revised LRSA 3.0 which was just put to consultation is much better
in this area and we intend to refresh the standard RSA to improve its
language as well.

FYI,
/John

John Curran