[arin-ppml] Borders sells their /16 block

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Dec 6 20:59:31 EST 2011

On Dec 6, 2011, at 2:12 PM, Mike Burns wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> Response below
>

>> Thanks, although I do have to wonder what was actualy being sold if a company had the intention of bypassing ARIN & WHOIS.  I mean why would an entity need to pay anyone $12 per address to assign IP addresses to thier servers that weren't going to be listed authoritatively by ARIN....when they could do the same exact thing for FREE right now?
>>
>> I mean ARIN doesn't control what addresses are assigned to individual machines on someones network.  They just control the listing service that most carriers elect to use when determining where stuff gets routed,  or am I missing something?  So if you didn't care about authoritative WHOIS listing....why would you go pay some other company millions of dollars for address space that you could just unilateraly assign yourself (and face the exact same consequences for not having listed in WHOIS).
>>

>> Christopher Engel
>
> Hi Chris,
>
> No provider I know is going to accept advertisements of address blocks without testing for uniqueness somehow.
> Checking whois will provide some information, and a chain of custody from the whois registrant to the party seeking to advertise those blocks, along with customer attestation, covers the provider from tortious interference claims.
>
> Result is the blocks are advertised and used, but whois is degraded.

What happens when those chain of custody records no longer point to the current whois record, but, whois is updated to reflect the actual legitimate registrant of the reclaimed block after ARIN noticed that the block was no longer in use by it's proper registrant and was unable to complete a section 8 transfer to the current usurper?

I would not want to be the organization that had purchased the block in such a situation.

Owen