[arin-ppml] Borders sells their /16 block

Benson Schliesser bensons at queuefull.net
Tue Dec 6 17:13:21 EST 2011

John Curran wrote:

>> Please note that I'm not advocating the above conflict. I would explicitly advise all parties against it. However, I do recognize it as a possibility - as a likelihood, even. Therefore I do advocate that we plan for it.
>
> Done. ARIN is prepared to manage the Whois registry database in
> accordance with the number resource policies developed by the
> community, including the potential legal aspects that might arise
> in the event of conflict from requests outside of adopted policy.

Thanks, John.

Can you elaborate? Does ARIN (staff and counsel) feel that "the potential legal aspects" are optimally dealt with by existing mechanisms, e.g. as opposed to alternative policy and/or procedures?

(I suppose the answer requires definition of the word "optimally", but I'll leave that for you to define.)

> I do agree to the extent that more involvement in the policy
> process will help avoid surprises and conflict later on (and
> particularly if we can get more involvement at this crucial
> time leading up to IPv4 depletion.)

Agreed. Not that it reduces our need to pursue understanding of the broader issues at play. But we all benefit from more discussion and analysis, with a broader community, in advance of potential problems.

Cheers,
-Benson