[arin-ppml] An article of interest to the community....

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Aug 31 01:16:49 EDT 2011

On Aug 30, 2011, at 8:53 PM, Matthew Kaufman wrote:

> On Aug 30, 2011, at 5:01 PM, "Mike Burns" <mike at nationwideinc.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Paul,
>>
>> I'm an ARIN facilitator.
>> Can I run an auction today on eBay for address space?
>
> Sure you can. Of course the moment you do, that space is immediately suspected of being under-utilized and one would expect a Section 12 resource review to be in progress before the auction even closed. Particularly inconvenient if nobody meets your reserve.

While auctioning your space is not an automatic free pass on section 12, I know that ARIN is
being extremely careful not to conduct arbitrary section 12 audits against people who merely
seek to auction their space.

> I do wonder how much space we could free up in the region today if people could advertise it's availability without this threat, and yet I believe the odds of removing all resource review and reclamation via the PDP is pretty much a non-starter, so I'm not going to waste my time with a policy proposal.

You can advertise the space availability without that threat. Your post is a red herring.

Owen