[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-156 Update 8.3 to allow inter-RIR transfers

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Aug 24 11:55:36 EDT 2011

On Aug 24, 2011, at 9:54 AM, Mike Burns wrote:

> In this article, http://techliberation.com/2011/08/15/trading-ipv4-addresses-starts-making-internet-elders-nervous/ ,Prof. Mueller relates a conversation with the broker who handled the Microsoft/Nortel IPv4 sale.  That broker mentions a point which is entirely relevant to my proposal, which is the fact that of all the 38 (!) IP blocks included in the sale, not a single one had correct Whois data.

Mike -

If that was the case, it is because of failure of the registrants to
update their records.  I will note the ARIN community has since
directed ARIN to send POC Update messages to all resources holders,
and that is underway now.  We are seeing very good response rates
for updates (as high as 36% response rate) but that does not help
for legacy resources that presently have no points-of-contact with
valid contact information.

Having correct information in the Whois database is quite straight
forward for those who wish to do so, and I encourage the community
to adopt policies that support accurate registration data.  Only
the community can decide if it is worthwhile to set aside other
policy goals in the pursuit of having minimal criterial for ARIN
to process requests (such as transfers).

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN

p.s. Regarding the rest of Prof. Mueller's assertions in the referenced
article about "ARIN being worried", "ARIN being nervous", or protecting
its position in the current Internet number registry system, those
assertions are factually incorrect, as ARIN is on record in a public
letter to ICANN indicating that it would welcome participation in
discussions of the structure of the Internet number registry system.
<http://www.icann.org/en/correspondence/curran-to-beckstrom-02mar11-en.pdf>
Prof. Mueller was well aware of the same, as I pointed it out while
speaking on his GIGNET panel in May on the Internet number registry
system.