[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-156 Update 8.3 to allow inter-RIR transfers

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Aug 23 17:38:44 EDT 2011

Hi Randy,

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 4:09 PM, Randy Whitney
<randy.whitney at verizon.com> wrote:
>> + to another RIR, for transfer to a specified recipient in that RIR's
>> service region who demonstrates plans to deploy the resources for the
>> justified purpose within 3 months, as long as the request meets the
>> policy requirements of both RIRs,
>
> Perhaps I am just confused. If it is going to _another_ RIR, why does it
> matter if it meets ARIN's policy requirements?

Because our policies define who's qualified to receive our addresses
and to the extent that our policies are more restrictive than those in
the receiving region, the recipient must meet our requirements before
the addresses can leave our control.

> How would you even apply
> ARIN's Policies in this case?

The exact same way we apply them to folks in the ARIN region.
Templates. Resource reviews. Registration fees. Sometimes audits.

>> and the recipient (and any
>> organizations to which they have transferred or reassigned space) can
>> show efficient utilization of all prior allocations, assignments, and
>> transfers according to the current policy requirements of both RIRs.
>
> Similar to my previous point: if it is going to be transferred to
> another RIR, then this statement either:
> A/ Makes no sense, assuming recipient is not an ARIN member, or
> B/ Could be construed as ARIN attempting to prevent the transfer or
> otherwise interfere with another RIR's transfer approval process, since
> the space is being transferred AWAY from the ARIN region.

If you want to acquire addresses from your region, you meet your
region's policies. If you want them from ARIN's region, you meet our
policies too.

What's the alternative? ARIN-region and out-region registrants would
be on unequal footing meeting the qualifications to receive an address
transfer from an ARIN-region registrant, potentially with ARIN-region
registrants having to meet a stricter standard.

I'm not sure what's confusing about that or how applying our policies
while the addresses are still our responsibility could _reasonably_ be
construed as interference.

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 5:25 PM, Paul Wilson <pwilson at apnic.net> wrote:
> Is it proposed that ARIN staff would conduct a full
> need-based assessment of the each recipient, even
> in another region, including examination of all prior
> allocations?

Hi Paul,

If that's what ARIN region policies call for with address transfers.
Why would we allow other regions to port out our scarce addresses
using a less stringent standard than we apply to ourselves?

> Has there been any consideration of the cost
> and practicality of this approach?
> Is it possible that a recipient would be asked to
>pay ARIN to cover the cost of this service?

I should hope so, but fees aren't determined by the policy community.

> Would a registration services agreement be required with ARIN?

I would expect so, although it would become moot once the transfer was complete.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004