[arin-ppml] Submitted to ARIN Consultation and Suggestion Process

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Aug 19 04:02:15 EDT 2011

On Aug 18, 2011, at 5:45 PM, Jimmy Hess wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 7:04 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>
> I would be in favor of ARIN maintaining and publishing a list of
> prefixes transferred under 8.3
> as suggested.
>

>> I see no reason to have the internet degrade into arbitrary value judgments over the desire to reach a prefix (after all, if some ASN between you and the destination has a different value judgment, you lose until the point where the subset of prefixes that are actually globally reachable is a tiny fraction of those being advertised).
>>

> If the number of prefixes globally reachable drops to a sufficiently
> low number, then
> that would mean the internet is no longer global,  and IPv4 is
> essentially over....
>
> I'm sure the "international" prefixes, such as ones issued to other
> RIRs will be the first to
> be blocked from resource constrained folks' tables.     But most
> likely this will mean the
> people doing that filtering will start taking a default route from
> their transit providers,
> to avoid losing reachability.

I'm talking about the coming day when the transfer markets have
sufficiently exploded the routing table that the DFZ providers are
having to make route acceptance decisions.

> How much public interest is there in a non-global internet, really?
>
> If it becomes non-global, enough network participants may eventually
> be lost, that advertised prefixes drops
> and therefore memory consumption and IPv4 address utilization drops

Interested or not, I think it is the inevitable reality of the future of IPv4 in
one form or another.

Arguably, NAT has already done part of this.

Owen