[arin-ppml] Submitted to ARIN Consultation and Suggestion Process

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Aug 18 20:04:30 EDT 2011

On Aug 18, 2011, at 3:01 PM, Benson Schliesser wrote:

> On Aug 18, 2011, at 4:54 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:
>
>> I believe that people who run routers might prefer to be able to exclude routes based on a first-come-first-serve basis when their routers start running out of memory. While the aggregated data can help with the policy part, policy alone is not the only concern as transfers become more common.
>>
>> The ability to do so requires exposure of the individual prefixes.
>
> Are you suggesting that people might drop routes (e.g. because of resource limitations) based on whether they were disaggregated due to a transfer?  In my view, such a decision should be based on the value of reachability to the prefix in question (not the way the prefix was acquired), so if I understand you correctly then I disagree.  Can you clarify?
>
> Thanks,
> -Benson

I'm suggesting that when it comes time to choose which routes to drop due to resource limitations, the most recent transfers might be the choice some people would prefer to make. (e.g. keep what has been working the longest working and let the suffering fall to those who joined the game most recently).

Not so much the way the prefix was acquired as when the prefix was acquired. IMHO, if you acquire prefixes that late in the game, you should expect that some people might be out of routing slots and may not be able to carry them. IPv4 is doomed to this fate IMHO. As such, I see no reason to have the internet degrade into arbitrary value judgments over the desire to reach a prefix (after all, if some ASN between you and the destination has a different value judgment, you lose until the point where the subset of prefixes that are actually globally reachable is a tiny fraction of those being advertised).

Owen