[arin-ppml] Analogies

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sat Apr 30 20:39:08 EDT 2011

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 1:31 AM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> I will point out that ARIN is the only registry that did not start
> charging their legacy holders shortly after coming into existence.
>
> APNIC, RIPE, AfriNIC, and LACNIC all charge their legacy holders
> annual fees to the best of my knowledge.
>
> I do not know whether a contract was required in any or all cases,
> but, the fee portion of the equation is unique to ARIN to the best
> of my knowledge.

Hi Owen,

I will suggest that an attempt by ARIN to charge $100/year under a
contract simplified to, "We agree to keep your whois data and RDNS
delegations intact as is for one year increments until either of us
choose to cancel this contract" would meet with at most mild
resistance from the legacy registrants. It would also, IMHO, provide
an excellent way to weed out the abandoned registrations.

This hasn't been done in part because we, in this forum, have insisted
that legacy registrants should not be invited into the fold under such
terms.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004