[arin-ppml] ARIN / Microsoft press release regarding IP address Transfers

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Sat Apr 30 20:27:38 EDT 2011

On 16-Apr-11 02:19, Owen DeLong wrote:
> On Apr 15, 2011, at 9:53 PM, Stephen Sprunk wrote:
>> On 15-Apr-11 19:00, Matthew Kaufman wrote:
>>> The adopted policies (if they are using the "relatively new policy"
>>> as alluded to in the release) require the transfer of *a single
>>> aggregate*.
>>
>> Not quite.  NRPM 8.3 only requires the receiver "demonstrate the need
>> for such resources, as a single aggregate", not that a single
>> aggregate be transferred.
>
> ... I do not believe that Stephen's interpretation below matches the
> meaning or the intent of the policy as I understand it. ...

I don't think it does either, for the record.  However, this points out
how bad wording has left us in a situation where we're not sure /what/
the policy text means--much less whether we agree with it.

> I do agree that your interpretation would be a syntactically  and
> grammatically valid construction, but, I believe it is contextually
> nonsensical and not the intended meaning of the words.
>
> If anyone has a suggestion for making the actual intent more clear, I
> am open to suggestions and would support making an editorial
> correction for clarity.

If you can provide examples of transfers you both do and don't wish to
allow, I'll be happy to come up with wording to express your intent.  As
it stands, though, I don't understand your (or anyone else's) intent
well enough to try.