[arin-ppml] New Entrants shut out? (Was: ARIN-2011-5: ... - Last Call

Jeffrey Lyon jeffrey.lyon at blacklotus.net
Sat Apr 30 15:50:01 EDT 2011

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 3:28 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> Jimmy,
>
> At the moment we have a system that favors small players at the
> expense of commerce. It also fails to create economic incentives to
> migrate to IPv6. Note that C-Squad execs speak dollars, not value to
> the community.
>
> I would argue that the current system appears to be creating quite a few
> incentives to add IPv6 capabilities if you look at the current uptick in v6
> statistics since Feb. 3.
>
> So long as we continue to squeeze blood out of the IPv4 turnip,
> companies will continue to delay IPv6. The choices become the Lyon
> strategy of letting the market set the price and encourage natural
> migration, or the Owen strategy of taking IPv4 off life support.
>
> I don't think it is on life support and I think a natural evolution is
> occurring. Some organizations which are unable to look beyond short term
> dollars will have faster and more disruptive migration processes while
> others with better vision have been planning and executing their migration
> strategies for years.
> The longer you wait, the more rushed, expensive, and disruptive your
> inevitable transition will be.
> Owen

Owen,

I agree that there are some incentives to migrate to IPv6 and that
companies who wait will suffer. My point is that these incentives are
not economic in nature which is what will be necessary to motivate
companies to act. Companies are the driving force behind either
creating or removing roadblocks to adoption (eg. carrier support,
vendor support, and so forth).

I fundamentally disagree that we should taking the position of
"migrate now or suffer later," rather create the economic incentive
for a natural progression to IPv6 without having to twist any arms or
cause any suffering.

Very rarely are technologies widely adopted on account of a decree.
Successful adoption occurs when migrating to a new technology is an
all around attractive prospect. I would be willing to hypothesize that
there are about equal numbers of people who want immediate adoption of
IPv6 and those who want to see IPv4 continue to survive for a number
of years, at least until IPv6 can gain a more stable footing.

--
Jeffrey Lyon, Leadership Team
jeffrey.lyon at blacklotus.net | http://www.blacklotus.net