[arin-ppml] Accusation of fundamental conflict of interest/ IP address policy pitched directly to ICANN

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 10:22:19 EDT 2011

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 8:41 AM, McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree with JC, the ASO and constituent RIRs are quite capable of
> dealing with this AND manage potential conflict of interest issues,
> but I wouldn't be surprised if a letter to NTIA was the next step
> after an ICANN reply.  I also agree that a wider discussion might be
> useful.

Yes....  however... what would be the venue for a wider discussion?
And where/how can the community make its opinion clear on the proposal,
with decision,  and with impunity against such frivolous "conflict of interest"
claims.

The fellow comes up with a proposal to basicaly do away with the RIR system
of address allocations,  encouraging instead some sort of competitive
free-for-all
with no RIRs/regional policy authorities, and claims there's a
conflict of interest
for the RIR communities themselves to consider this.

This is something like coming up with a proposal to abolish the vote;
and arguing the ratification/rejection by a ballot measure or elected
reps. are unacceptable conflict  of interest,   because the proposal
eliminates elected representatives,  thus bringing the voters into a
conflict of interest.

The problem with this "conflict of interest" theory is the RIR community
members _are_ the resource holders;  the RIRs are supposed to execute
good stewardship of their region's numbering resources, the RIR's
interests should be the same as the community's.

There are potentially grave stability issues with a "free for all"
system.

And the concerns of the numerous RIR community members who
might reject the extreme proposal,  on various grounds should not
be distilled down to "Just ARIN's view" of the situation.

But I suppose by not even bringing it to the ARIN public policy discussion,
perhaps the proposal authors hope to avoid having serious community input?

So certain of rejection that they _preemptively_  avoid  the RIR communities,
and try to slip something in via another organization related to the RIRs?

--
-JH