[arin-ppml] Domain Name charging history - Re: Analogies

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Fri Apr 29 18:57:24 EDT 2011

Interesting tidbits from my email archives:

"As of June 30, 1995, there were 67,677 commercial domains registered
with InterNIC compared with 29,202 at December 31, 1994.  7,554 domains
were added in the month of June 1995.  Although the gain was
impressive, it repesents a falloff from the May 1995 pace when over
10,000 domains were registered."

> [...]
>> by e-mail 60, 30 and 15 days before this fee is due.
>>
>> 	New domain name registrants will pay $100 to register the first time,
>> which will cover a two-year period.  Before the anniversary date of the second
>> year, they will receive the same renewal notifications that we've just
>> discussed.
>>
>> 3. Q.	Why aren't you giving adequate advance notice?
>>
>> A.	The concept of user fees is not new.  How and when to charge for
>> domain name registration has been discussed in the Internet community for more
>> than a year.  Network Solutions has worked closely with the National Science
>> Foundation to determine the requirements and processes necessary to make the
>> transition to user fees.  We believe the process is as fair as possible for
>> two reasons: first, existing domain name registrants will not be billed until
>> their anniversary date; second, Network Solutions will allow an initial
>> three-month grace period.  The current NSF-NSI cooperative agreement extends
>> until 1998, which allows the Internet community to consider funding
>> alternatives.
>>
>> 4. Q.	What do the domain name users think about this?
>>
>> A.	Many domain name applicants/holders previously have indicated they're
>> willing to pay a fee for better service, and there are many who understand the
>> need to make the Internet self-supporting.  There are some who feel that
>> existing domain name users should be exempt from any fee and that fees should
>> only be charged to new domain name registrants.  However, that would make new
>> registrants pay for maintaining the 110,000 domain names that already exist.
>> We don't think that's either fair or sustainable over the long run.
>>
>> 5.  Q.	What exactly is a domain name?
>>
>> A.	A domain name is a unique identifier which designates a specific
>> computer on the Internet.  Organizations choose a domain name and then
register
>> that name with the registrar who enters the name into the global domain name
>> system.  Then any Internet user can use the domain name to communicate with
>> that organization over the Internet.
>>
>> 5.5 Q.	Since the Domain Name Service links the names with the numbers user for
>> routing, wouldn't it be simpler to base the fees on the numbers?
>>
>> A.	Large blocks of numbers have been assigned to Internet service
>> providers and others for future use.  These numbers reflect potential for
>> future use but not actual current use.  It would be difficult to base an
>> equitable funding solution on numbers since the names more accurately reflect
>> actual Internet use.
>>
>> 6. Q.	What about the average Internet user?
>>
>> A.	While it is difficult to describe the "typical" Internet user,
>> generally speaking, they fall into three categories: there are large
>> organizations and corporations, which have a single, or relatively few,
>> domain names.  For those users, the costs are insignificant.  There are
>> those who have Internet access through on-line services such as America
Online,