[arin-ppml] New Entrants shut out? (Was: ARIN-2011-5: ... - Last Call

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Fri Apr 29 18:54:38 EDT 2011

On 4/29/2011 2:40 PM, David Farmer wrote:
> I am curious about this following comment, could you please expand on it.
>
> On 4/29/11 12:48 CDT, Ray Hunter wrote:
>
>> Meanwhile new entrants to the ISP market are effectively shut out, due
>> to the "last /8" allocation policy for IPv4 addresses coming into effect
>> in the ARIN region.
>
> Are you suggesting the lack of ARIN having a Last /8 austerity policy
> similar to APNIC, assigning a small block to each organization out of
> the last /8, effectively shuts out new entrants?
>
> Or, that there is something additionally discriminatory against new
> entrants was added to ARIN's policies as part of ARIN's IPv4 run-out
> strategy?
>
> In other words are you saying;
>
> The ARIN policy community fail to take an actions that resulted in
> effectively shutting out new entrants?
>
> Or, the ARIN policy community took a direct action that resulted in
> effectively shutting out new entrants?

For starters I question why we should even care - many industries
have "effectively shut out new entrants".  Go try becoming a new
oil company and see how far you get.

The shortage of IPv4 is going to "shut out" new ISP entrants post-RIR
runout, until IPv6 gets good penetration.  This is unavoidable.  It is
also going to "shut out" new customers, too.

The North American region has a growing population.  Even if Internet
connectivity penetration into that population did not increase, and
remained at a fixed percentage of population, sheer population growth
will force the IPv6 issue no matter how much old IPv4 gets dug up
from whatever dusty corners it's in.

In the meantime, during the time period that IPv4 is "out" yet IPv4
still remains the dominant method of connection to the Internet, then
yes, new ISP entrants will be "shut out"  This will not last - but
wanna-be ISPs should probably shelve their business plans for another
decade and go find something else to do until the issue sorts itself out.

Ted