[arin-ppml] Do we have a fundamental conflict in the regionalgoalsfor number resource management?

Tony Li tony.li at tony.li
Fri Apr 29 16:32:25 EDT 2011

On Apr 29, 2011, at 9:53 AM, Mike Burns wrote:

> Honestly, in a world where technological advance happens geometrically (Moore's Law), I think the router manufacturers should be able to deal with data that grows merely linearly, like the BGP table, but I am not an expert in this area.

Unfortunately, not all technological advances happen according to Moore's Law.  Where Moore's Law does apply, we do see advances that are around the 41% annual growth that Moore's Law suggests.

However, in other areas, such as DRAM speeds, we only see improvements of about 7% annually.  Table growth far outstrips this, so we see a performance impact in BGP convergence times.

Tony Li
Cisco Fellow
Service Provider Routing Software Group
Cisco Systems