[arin-ppml] Analogies

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Apr 29 13:14:23 EDT 2011

On Apr 29, 2011, at 1:06 PM, William Herrin wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 12:31 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>> Could you explain?  When that happened, I don't recall there
>> being any competitive registries.
>
> Hi John,
> IIRC, the big (or at least loud) one was AlterNIC. There's a list here:

But that did not provide an option for someone with an existing domain
name in an established TLD, correct?  As such, it appears that it was
an imposition of costs and contractual requirements on many folks. I am
not advocating a course of action, but just trying to determine the
appropriate analogy.  Doing anything with legacy IP address allocations
would appear much closer to the fate of .com registrations that the
the ccTLD/ICANN analogy raised by David earlier (i.e. in terms of
number of affected parties, cost and policy burden, etc.)

/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN