[arin-ppml] Analogies

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Apr 29 13:05:39 EDT 2011

On Apr 29, 2011, at 12:57 PM, David Conrad wrote:

> On Apr 29, 2011, at 9:31 AM, John Curran wrote:
>>> And if you didn't like being forced into that arrangement, there were (so the theory goes) a variety of competitive registries you could move to.
>>
>> Could you explain?  When that happened, I don't recall there being any competitive registries.
>
> When NSF allowed Netsol to charge, there were 200+ or TLDs in the root zone, e.g., ".US" (which was free, albeit had other restrictions).

But if you had an existing domain (for example, in .com), did you
unilaterally had to agree and start paying?  (I'm asking here for
sake clarity, as I don't recall precisely how this all happened)

Do you know how many registered domains were in .COM and .NET at
the time?

/John

John Curran
President and CEO