[arin-ppml] Analogies

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Apr 29 13:01:18 EDT 2011

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 12:09 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> On Apr 28, 2011, at 9:40 PM, David Conrad wrote:
>
>> Ted,
>>
>> On Apr 28, 2011, at 9:06 AM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>>> This is the same argument that the "alternate root people" have used for the last decade to attempt to inject hundreds of additional TDL's into the DNS namespace and it has failed.
>>
>> Not really.  A closer analogy in the DNS space would be if ICANN had been able to enforce its attempt to force ccTLDs into entering into contractual agreements prior to getting the root zone updated.
>
> Actually, wouldn't a more apt analogy be the transition that everyone
> underwent from free DNS services to having to pay for DNS registration
> services?  That involved a similar scale of thousands of existing parties
> going to from free non-contractual arrangements into a formal contract
> and payment.

John,

It might have been had ARIN been contracted by government fiat like
Network Solutions was instead of being built from bottom-up consensus.
 But the time for that was a decade and a half ago... and as I recall
part of the premise with the DNS was hey, if you think DOC got it
wrong then run your own root and registry and convince folks to join
you. And some people did for quite some time.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004