[arin-ppml] ARIN-PPML Digest, Vol 70, Issue 141

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Apr 29 11:19:41 EDT 2011

On Apr 29, 2011, at 11:08 AM, Mike Burns wrote:
I remain unconvinced, and I note that you wish us to continue to believe that the arbitrary assortment of addresses which Microsoft contracted to buy from Nortel prior to ARIN's involvement in the deal turned out to be the exact amount required in the ex post facto needs analysis of the deal.

As is your right.

ARIN has more than a decade of experience doing documented needs assessments,
and (as it has been pointed out by others on the PPML list), it is not very difficult for an
existing network operation to show the past growth and future plans  to warrant allocation
(or transfer) for additional address space.   We often come up with a different view than
organizations applying for resources, and this does result in a request being denied or
going through for a smaller allocation than expected.  As long as the policies require that
we have documented needs assessment, we will continue to perform them.

/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN