[arin-ppml] Microsoft receives court approval for transfer as agreed with ARIN

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 10:01:58 EDT 2011

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 10:19 AM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> On Apr 28, 2011, at 11:05 AM, Frank Bulk wrote:
[snip]
> However, there already has been a policy experience report that
> includes 8.3 considerations that was given in San Juan, and it
> is clear that we're going to be running in many parties who only
> are aware of the community transfer policies after they've "made
> a sale".  Hence, my comment that "If more than a handful actually

Hm... I suggest ARIN revise the 8.3 transfer policy to make it clear
and require an unconditional release of addresses to ARIN first.

Then a resource review of the recipient will be conducted, and they
will be required
to sign the regular RSA to obtain the addresses.  There should also be
a limitation
of _how often_ an organization is allowed to receive addresses by transfer.

Say a 5-6 month waiting period.    If  the exact number of addresses
they are allowed
to transfer is a 12-month supply,  then a 4-5 month waiting period between
receiving 8.3 transfer addresses should not be a burden.

If the recipient of addresses happens to not be eligible to receive
the addresses,
then ARIN should waitlist the addresses, and immediately provide them to someone
who is eligible.

Rationale:   If you are willing to dispose of addresses by specified transfer,
that is de facto evidence your organization no longer needs those IP addresses.

A failed 8.3 transfer should not result in the addresses reverting to
the organization
initiating the transfer

--
-JH