[arin-ppml] Hijackings

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Thu Apr 28 20:34:15 EDT 2011

In message <4DB9C40C.8030004 at ipinc.net>,
Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm at ipinc.net> wrote:

>On 4/28/2011 12:07 PM, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
>> You comments assume that spam is what causes contact e-mail addresses
>> to be virtually or actually aliases to /dev/null.
>>
>> That may be true in some cases, but my guess is that in the vast majority
>> of cases POCcontact at some.place.tld isn't going to any live humans simply
>> because the bean counters and the Golden Slacks types have taken over
>> the world, and reading POC e-mail has been determined not to represent a
>> profit center, and that thus, dealing with that e-mail has been pushed down
>> to the lowest level of the work priority queue.
>>

>The community developed a policy to deal with that.  I was one of the
>instigators of it.  ARIN also has a mandate to periodically report the
>progress made on this.  I may criticize ARIN for many things but this
>is one thing where I will say your going to just have to give it more time.

My sincere apologies.  Apparently I was not clear.

I, for one, most certainly _DO NOT_ blame or criticize ARIN for the fact
that many organizations fail to read or respond to their POC contact e-mail
addresses or phone numbers.

It is Good that ARIN makes some efforts to try to insure that POC contacts
are actually reachable, but fundamentally it is just slightly annoying to
even think that ARIN even needs to be involved at all in the process of
hearding the unruly collection of cats it has some responsibility over in
this particular direction.

I may have other criticisms of ARIN, but I do not criticise ARIN for any
failure, perceived or real, to cajole or harass resource holders into
brushing their teeth on a regular basis.

Quite obviously, the primary responsibility for maintaining a working,
staffed contact e-mail address and phone number belongs to to the individual
organizations in question.

I bemoan the fact that so many are falling down on the job with respect to
this, but I sure as hell don't blame ARIN for that.

>ARIN may need prodding to get the abandoned resources reallocated...

Well, yes.  But that is a different issue.

There are plenty of NON-abandoned resources for which trying to make con-
tact with someone... anyone... who will take some responsibility for the
resource is about as fruitful as trying to raise the dead... and at times
seems roughly equivalent thereto.

Regards,
rfg