[arin-ppml] Can a personal property approach ever transitioninto multi-stakeholder, private sector led, bottom-up policy development model?

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Apr 28 18:06:11 EDT 2011

On Apr 28, 2011, at 5:58 PM, Mike Burns wrote:
> I believe the creation of an open IPv4 transfer market WILL increase its
> likelihood of hanging around for a while.
>
> Is ARIN's stewardship role to hasten its demise by any means, since an IPv6
> future is superior, even if the market thinks otherwise?
>
> Or to create conditions which allow as many IPv4 addresses as possible to be
> brought into use?
>
> Is that the choice the community should be making to guide policy
> development?

Mike -

  This is definitely a case where the community needs to carefully
  engage in very inclusive policy development, and unfortunately
  needs to do it on a global scope as such essential questions
  really need to be answered consistently for the entirety of the
  address space.

  We've had the benefit of a fairly consistent framework for
  address management goals, and hence we lack experience in
  how to modify it on a global basis when it needs to change.

  Not an easy situation in general, and remarkably challenging
  if you have a contingent which wants to opt out of any policy
  constraints.

/John

John Curran
President and CEO