[arin-ppml] Staff proposing policy.

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Thu Apr 28 15:29:03 EDT 2011

In a message written on Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 06:47:12PM +0000, John Curran wrote:
> To be clear, is this a suggest for staff to provide more realtime input
> with respect solely to implementation issues with existing and proposed
> policies, or also with respect to policy intention and goals?
>
> e.g.  "If 20xx-n had its second sentence reworded to match the existing
>        critical infrastructure definition, that would the clearer"
>
> or also "If 20xx-n included World of Warcraft servers in the definition of
>          critical infrastructure, that might better serve the community..
>          (and certainly would make some of us happy)"

I think both of those are useful, the second of course more so if
staff can back it up with some reason.

"In 20xx-n you reference critical infrastructure.  We'd like to let
you know we've had over 2100 different World of Warcraft servers
submit that they are critical infrastructure and we've deined all
of those requests.  Has the community considered that user base and
if they qualify or not?"

The community would have no way to know people were trying to claim
CI for World of Warcraft without the staff speaking up, as there
is no other visibility into that process.

[In a fun side note, WoW rolled out a new version on Tuesday which
supports IPv6!]

The other area where they can be super helpful is someone comes in
with wording of "This policy applies to all Tier-1 backbones."
Staff could say "We can't find a consistent defintion of Tier-1 and
don't know how to apply it, but based on the discussions on PPML
we think the proposer might mean 'all transit free backbones', which
is a definition we could work with quite easily.

Some of this work overlaps with the AC, as they can also do some of
that.  I don't mean to take away from the AC's work, but just expand the
brain power going into such things.