[arin-ppml] Microsoft receives court approval for transfer as agreed with ARIN

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Thu Apr 28 15:19:32 EDT 2011

On 4/27/2011 1:50 PM, Leo Bicknell wrote:
> In a message written on Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 08:33:26PM +0000, John Curran wrote:
>> Leo - We don't discussion individual registry requests, but the press
>> release indicates that the specified transfer policy (8.3) was used.
>> The LRSA/RSA use in 8.3 was discussed in an earlier PPML thread
>> "Implementation of NRPM 8.3"; review for more background information.
>
> I have to say I get quite a giggle out of reading we don't talk about
> it, but if you refer to the press release....
>
> I think the community should have a nice review of 8.3.  Near as I can
> tell it requires three things that ARIN showed some flexibility on:
>
> - Policy requires signing the RSA, in this case ARIN accepted the LRSA.
> - Policy requires the block be released to ARIN, in this case the court
>    released the block directly to Microsoft.
> - Policy requires that the block be "a single aggregate", and in this
>    case the number of IP's don't correspond to the size of a single CIDR
>    block.
>
> It appears for this transaction ARIN showed some amount of wiggle
> room on these three points.  Perhaps that is what the community
> wants, or perhaps the community needs to re-iterate that these three
> points are not negotiable.

In all this talk I find it odd that nobody has commented on the utter
unfairness of the financial end of all of this.  Microsoft had 7 million
to pay Nortel but they slimed out of sending a miserable .2% of that
money in fees to support the RIR that makes it possible for them to
use those addresses?  Microsoft spends more than the annual ARIN fee
for those numbers every month on buttwipe for their employees restrooms.

By all means we need to close this loophole that allows a receiver to
keep legacy resoures under an LRSA as a result of a transfer.

Ted