[arin-ppml] Hijackings

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Thu Apr 28 15:07:50 EDT 2011

In message <9511.1304008691 at marajade.sandelman.ca>,
Michael Richardson <mcr at sandelman.ca> wrote:

>    Ronald> I do not "complain" to ISPs or NSPs anymore.  One third of
>    Ronald> the time their contact e-mail addresses (including those in
>    Ronald> ARIN WHOIS records) are non- deliverable.  Of the remaining
>    Ronald> ones, my own ad hoc empirical studies suggest that 90+% of
>    Ronald> them are either actually or effectively aliased to /dev/null
>    Ronald> (except for .edu stuff, where they actually have warm bodies
>    Ronald> paying attention).
>
>+1
>+12 on trying to use the phone.
>
>I think it would be useful if ARIN had a closed email system that
>provided a POP/IMAP mailbox (and SMTP submit port) for every POC.
>
>Closed, meaning it won't send email outside of it (except, perhaps to
>other RIRs systems).   If you aren't a POC, then you have no business
>talking to other POCs, to keep out the spam.  This would be a small
>admission that Internet email via MX is dead (and I hate that idea), but
>it would make life easier.

You comments assume that spam is what causes contact e-mail addresses
to be virtually or actually aliases to /dev/null.

That may be true in some cases, but my guess is that in the vast majority
of cases POCcontact at some.place.tld isn't going to any live humans simply
because the bean counters and the Golden Slacks types have taken over
the world, and reading POC e-mail has been determined not to represent a
profit center, and that thus, dealing with that e-mail has been pushed down
to the lowest level of the work priority queue.

Regards,
rfg