[arin-ppml] Staff proposing policy.

Michel Py michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Thu Apr 28 13:26:17 EDT 2011

Paul,

>> Michel Py wrote:
>> ... The current policies are not palatable to many of the legacy holders.

> Paul Vixie wrote:
> if the above statement is accurate,

Look at the numbers of legacy holders who have signed a LRSA and compare the number who have not. What does this tell you?

> 1. continue using a community driven transparent consensus based bottom
> up policy development process in which case those legacy holders who do
> not like the resulting policies will try to work around them;

And already have successfully proven that they could do it.

A good development would be to enhance transparency. The NDAs are a little bit too convenient for my taste.

>> Leo Bicknell wrote:
>> To me the answer is simple.  ARIN Staff should be
>> able to propose policy.

> William Herrin wrote:
> You've identified a real problem, but bear in mind that staff
> is prevented from proposing policy for good reason: such
> participation would inevitably drive the policymaking process
> further from the hands of the public they serve. The eventual
> destination is an FCC-like process in which the Regulator
> privately engages the monolithic Stakeholders, drafts intricate
> policies and, briefly towards the tail end of the process,
> solicits public comment.

I'm 100% with Bill here. I don't want to create another bureaucratic monster.

David,

> David Conrad wrote:
> I would be quite surprised if legacy holders viewed themselves
> as being "within the ARIN framework" to begin with.

I was about to bring that point myself; to those who ask "do legacy holders really find the policies unpalatable" I answer: look what percentage of them have signed an LRSA. This is the root cause of the issue: the "to sign or not to sign" syndrome.

> Until then, if ARIN tries to assert their view, I'd imagine
> the legacy holders will simply say "screw you" and go to
> places like depository.net/tradeipv4.com/etc.

Isn't that the scenario we want to avoid at all costs? In the Nortel case, we're almost there, as if I understand correctly Nortel sold the blocks without consulting ARIN first. Depending on the purchaser, ARIN may be facing a deal such as "a LRSA the way WE want is all you get, sign it or if you don't like it, screw you".

Were are talking about the relevance of ARIN in the long term.

> Owen DeLong wrote:
> how do you suggest we go about getting legacy address
> registrants who have not already done so to express an opinion?
> To the best of my knowledge, the only thing standing in their
> way is their own choice not to participate.

Because, as David was saying, they see nothing but trouble in doing it.

Mike Burns, I liked your post.

Michel.