[arin-ppml] Follow-up on Petition of ARIN-prop-134 and -136

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Apr 28 01:27:40 EDT 2011

>> Since petitions are against specific AC actions, it
>> would best for petitioners to follow the discussion
>> on PPML so that they can make an informed decision
>> on such actions before petitioning.
>
> I agree - it would be "best" for many people to be informed of ARIN policy discussion.  But it hardly seems "open", to exclude stakeholders from being heard simply because they don't wish to subscribe to PPML.  We are making policy that affects a much wider community, and limiting input to our own voices (recently described as an "echo chamber" effect) is not a good idea.

Benson,

Policy discussions are conducted on PPML and at public policy meetings.

People who wish to participate in the policy process must, at a minimum, subscribe to PPML.

This is a good thing. Anyone may join PPML. It is completely open. Choosing not to subscribe
to PPML is making the choice not to participate in policy discussions. Decisions are made by
those who show up. If you don't show up, you don't get to participate. It's that simple. I don't know
of any organization that operates otherwise.

Owen