[arin-ppml] Microsoft receives court approval for transfer as agreed with ARIN

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Wed Apr 27 19:29:39 EDT 2011

On 27-Apr-11 17:36, William Herrin wrote:
> Should we reconsider the transparency requirements that go in to IPv4
> allocations and transfers? Is there a size of IPv4 consumption above
> which an organization should not have an expectation of privacy with
> respect to their documentation? A consumption so large that it must be
> subject to public scrutiny in all details?

ARIN is relevant because (and only because) a dozen or so mega-ISPs say
it is.  Those mega-ISPs consume the vast majority of ARIN-issued address
space and would presumably be against any policy that would require
showing their hands to their competitors.  If we were to pass such a
policy, there is a significant risk that they'll take their ball and go
home--and then everyone loses.

NDAs are a fact of life in the business world; if folks are obsessed
with the idea that ARIN's leadership /might /be lying to us, it's time
we figure out how to add an independent auditor to the mix--not expect
full public disclosure of every detail about every transaction.