[arin-ppml] Microsoft receives court approval for transfer as agreed with ARIN

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Wed Apr 27 16:50:36 EDT 2011

In a message written on Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 08:33:26PM +0000, John Curran wrote:
> Leo - We don't discussion individual registry requests, but the press
> release indicates that the specified transfer policy (8.3) was used.
> The LRSA/RSA use in 8.3 was discussed in an earlier PPML thread
> "Implementation of NRPM 8.3"; review for more background information.

I have to say I get quite a giggle out of reading we don't talk about
it, but if you refer to the press release....

I think the community should have a nice review of 8.3.  Near as I can
tell it requires three things that ARIN showed some flexibility on:

- Policy requires signing the RSA, in this case ARIN accepted the LRSA.
- Policy requires the block be released to ARIN, in this case the court
  released the block directly to Microsoft.
- Policy requires that the block be "a single aggregate", and in this
  case the number of IP's don't correspond to the size of a single CIDR
  block.

It appears for this transaction ARIN showed some amount of wiggle
room on these three points.  Perhaps that is what the community
wants, or perhaps the community needs to re-iterate that these three
points are not negotiable.