[arin-ppml] Microsoft receives court approval for transfer as agreed with ARIN

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Wed Apr 27 15:11:06 EDT 2011

On Wed, 27 Apr 2011, William Herrin wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 1:40 PM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:
>> Direct questions deserve direct answers:
>>
>>> For this big mass of IPv4 space that is, apparently, being (re-)allocated
>>> to Microsoft, will they be justifying the allocation?
>>
>> No.
>
> http://lists.arin.net/pipermail/arin-ppml/2011-April/020748.html
> "a detailed needs assessment was indeed performed" - John Curran

John saying that a needs assessment was performed doesn't mean that it was
relevant or what the outcome of that assessment was.  I'm not going to
speculate about either of those things.  I'm just pointing out that
stating an assessment was performed but not saying what that assessment
found or whether it mattered almost seems like John was being
intentionally vague, perhaps with the expectation that people would assume
"assessment was performed" = "ARIN approved the transfer", implying a
precedent has been set when that may not actually be the case.