[arin-ppml] Curious about consensus

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Mon Apr 25 13:47:32 EDT 2011

In a message written on Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 10:33:22AM -0700, Leo Bicknell wrote:
> Perhaps this is why the Board should think harder about using the
> Emergency PDP and trying to draft policy on their own.  If you
> recall, when the Board took the action that created 2009-1 we were
> less than two months from the community considering 2008-2 at a
> meeting where it likely would have passed.

Scott Liebrand reminded me of a part of history had I wanted to
forget.  At the fall 2008 meeting 2008-2 was abandoned in favor of
the AC originated, and even more ill conceived 2008-6 policy.  That
was the one that was coming up at the 2009 spring meeting.

> In this case I don't hold the AC much responsible though, the Board
> put them between a rock and a hard place basically telling them to
> either rubber stamp it, or if they took their time with it the Board
> would just continue to go around them in the Emergency PDP.

Which means I must retract this statement.  The AC's choice to go
from 2008-2 (which, admittedly needed work) to the remarkably
requirement-free policy 2008-6 likely helped push the Board to take
action under the Emergency PDP.  Still, I think the Board could
have and should have drawn more guidence from 2008-2.

My point though still stands, these things were discussed in great
detail by the AC over a period of several years, and at the end of
the day the BoT and AC ended up in this mess where they threw the
baby out with the bath water.  I think everyone involved should be
ashamed.