[arin-ppml] AC term limits? (Was: Curious about consensus)

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Mon Apr 25 09:41:42 EDT 2011

In a message written on Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 02:51:34PM -0700, Scott Leibrand wrote:
> Have you discussed with any members of the PDP committee the
> possibility of adding term limits to the PDP?  It would seem to me
> that if the community (and/or the membership) decided that it was
> better not to have AC members serve more than N consecutive terms
> without taking at least a year off, then it would be better to make
> that a rule, rather than just encouraging AC members to consider
> stepping aside on their own.

With the PDP committee, no.  With other members of the AC on and
off, yes.  I think I would generally support a term limit on both
AC and Board members, perhaps simply with the "time off" rule at
least one other person has suggested.  Having not investigated in
too much detail though I think it would be a bylaw change, not a
PDP issue.

I've also spoken with a number of folks with the idea that AC
meetings should be open to the public in a view-only manor.  Sort
of like going to your local city council meeting, you can watch and
evaluate your elected officals performance directly, but can't
participate (unless called upon, which I guess is a possibility).
Of course there would be the need to have special sessions or
whatever for particular staff and legal advice, but 75%+ of the
work could be done in full view.

In particular, I think this could help get new candidates for the AC to
run.  Right now when trying to convince someone to run they really have
no perspective for what goes on in AC meetings.  Reading the minutes
does not really provide the flavor of how one runs.  Being able to
personally attend a meeting might well get more people interesting and
make them think "I can do that!"