[arin-ppml] ARIN-2011-5: Shared Transition Space for IPv4 Address Extension - Last Call

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 16:32:06 EDT 2011

On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 1:24 PM, Leif Sawyer <lsawyer at gci.com> wrote:
> It would be difficult, if not downright impossible for anybody but the largest of MSO/ISP/LIR players to succeed in "bulk-buying" of address space.
>
> Everybody else would be priced out of the market.

The question really is if the benefit of this proposal outweighs the
headache of 1918 collisions for a special class of recipients. I think
not. I think that the amount of opex required to deal with those
problems is not unreasonable as compared to the value of the addresses
to the entire community.

> Fortunately, the proposal quashes that unlevel playing field, and sets up a system where ALL players are on equal footing.
>
> And that is a very good thing.

That's not so clear. Aside from the community benefit argument, I'd
have to question if this proposal wasn't an anti competitive
regulation, to be honest. It's going to cause smaller networks to be
priced out the market sooner and create the inverse condition you
describe in the second paragraph. If all of those networks could have
collectively deluged ARIN with /10 requests and been successful they
would've already done it.

Best,

-M<