[arin-ppml] ARIN-2011-6: Returned IPv4 Addresses - Last Call

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Apr 22 17:25:04 EDT 2011

On Apr 22, 2011, at 4:20 PM, David Conrad wrote:
> On Apr 22, 2011, at 10:08 AM, John Curran wrote:
>> IP address blocks (ether RIR-issued or legacy registrations) are
>> returned to the region in which they are registered, unless /8 in
>> size, in which case the registrant also has the option to return
>> them directly to the IANA.
>
> Can you point me to when/where this policy was defined?

David -

  Thank you for asking that, as it caused me to go find the
  reference and reread it.  My summary from memory was quite
  weak (e.g. legacy /8 blocks are maintain per the RIR policies
  but when returned will go to the IANA via the RIR), so it is
  better to read the original on the IANA web site:

  <http://www.iana.org/procedures/updating-legacy-classa.html>

Hope this helps,
/John

John Curran