[arin-ppml] Implementation of NRPM 8.3

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Apr 22 15:42:44 EDT 2011

On Apr 22, 2011, at 2:31 PM, Brett Frankenberger wrote:

> Are you saying that ARIN's interpretation of that is that "RSA"
> does not mean *the RSA* (i.e. the one any organization receiving
> non-legacy resources is required to sign as a precondition of obtaining
> such resources), but, rather, refers generically to any registration
> services agreement (including the LRSA in the case of legacy resources
> that are elibible to be placed under LRSA)?

Brett - I'm saying that the resources transferred must come under a
registration services agreement; this will almost always be standard
RSA. If legacy resources are involved and a standard RSA will not work
(e.g. due to conflict with terms & governmental requirements such as a
federal, state or provisional authority, court authorities, etc.) ARIN
may utilize an LRSA or modified LRSA so that the transfer can proceed.
This is unlikely to be a common occurrence, but does happen, just as we
sometimes have to modify the LRSA for governmental entities (see LRSA
FAQ <https://www.arin.net/resources/legacy/index.html> for more info)

> And also wondering why, if they could jsutify that many addresses, they
> didn't just get them from ARIN, which would, if the request were
> justified under NRPM policies, make an end-user assignment of that size
> for a lot less money than what Microsoft paid for Nortel's addresses.

ARIN simply processes the transfer requests; we are not in a position
to speculate about why various requests are submitted to us.

Hope this information is helpful to you,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN