[arin-ppml] Implementation of NRPM 8.3

Brett Frankenberger rbf+arin-ppml at panix.com
Fri Apr 22 15:14:47 EDT 2011

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 01:49:42AM +0000, John Curran wrote:

> > 2) ARIN will accept any form of RSA with the buyer, including the standard LRSA or a negotiated LRSA, and the actual agreement language will be kept private without disclosure to the ARIN membership or community.
>
> Not quite. The resources transferred must come under a registration services
> agreement; this will usually be a standard RSA, unless otherwise required by
> nature of the transfer.  If legacy resources are involved, the result could
> be an LRSA, just as can occur during the assignment of an LRSA during an 8.2
> M&A transfer.

NRPM 8.3:
   In addition to transfers under section 8.2, IPv4 number resources
   within the ARIN region may be released to ARIN by the authorized
   resource holder, in whole or in part, for transfer to another specified
   organizational recipient. Such transferred number resources may only be
   received under RSA by organizations that are within the ARIN region and
   can demonstrate the need for such resources, as a single aggregate, in
   the exact amount which they can justify under current ARIN policies

The text of the policies says the resources may only be received "under
RSA".  Are you saying that ARIN's interpretation of that is that "RSA"
does not mean *the RSA* (i.e. the one any organization receiving
non-legacy resources is required to sign as a precondition of obtaining
such resources), but, rather, refers generically to any registration
services agreement (including the LRSA in the case of legacy resources
that are elibible to be placed under LRSA)?

> > 3) ARIN will accept justification of need from buyers, in private
> > and without disclosure to the ARIN membership or community.
>
> Correct.

I appreciate that you are unable to comment on any specific issue
involving a particular organization.  So, hypothetically speaking,
let's suppose that an end-user organization received via transfer under
NRPM 8.3 a /13.  Would it be accurate to state that as a precondition
of ARIN processing that transfer, (a) the receiving organization
provided justification as required by section 4.3 of the NRPM for a
/13, and (b) if the orgnaization had provided that same justification
as part of a request for an assignment from ARIN, ARIN would have
(assuming ARIN's inventory of available address space included a /13)
made approved the assignment and (upon payment of hte appropriate fee)
assigned a /13 to the organization.

The basis for my hypothetical is that I think some people here are
having trouble believing that Microsoft justified 600K addresses.  And
also wondering why, if they could jsutify that many addresses, they
didn't just get them from ARIN, which would, if the request were
justified under NRPM policies, make an end-user assignment of that size
for a lot less money than what Microsoft paid for Nortel's addresses.
But, again, I'm not asking you to comment on the Microsoft situation;
just a hypothetical situation involving about that many addresses.

     -- Brett