[arin-ppml] ARIN-2011-6: Returned IPv4 Addresses - Last Call

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Apr 22 14:34:55 EDT 2011

On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 2:11 PM, Scott Leibrand <scottleibrand at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 22, 2011, at 10:42 AM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>> And here's at least one problem with the AC's new verbiage:
>>
>> Neither of these proposals specify how ARIN should select addresses
>> for return to IANA, but as soon as either of them is adopted the
>> prohibition on returning addresses evaporates without any clarifying
>> instructions from the community as to what addresses ARIN should
>> return.
>
> Would you be interested in helping draft language clarifying what
> addresses ARIN should return in the event of a global policy for the
> distribution of addresses from IANA?

Not until the dust settles and at least the 4 major regions have
exhausted. IMO, there are too many uncertainties surrounding the end
of the free pool and the hopeful rise of IPv6. I think we should gain
some experience shuffling addresses around our own region before we
commit to shuffling them between regions. Otherwise we're likely to
get eaten alive by that old bogeyman, the unintended consequence.

I think it's right that we start creating frameworks by which
addresses can move between regions or even pool up and become
available for IETF designation via RFC. Have we considered that? The
IETF doesn't have a way to get addresses to facilitate new
technologies either, and that hurts us all.

The time is not yet ripe to make addresses available through such
frameworks. We don't know enough yet but in a year or two we will.

But then that's just my opinion as to "when." As I said before, we
don't yet have consensus on "when." Where we have consensus is on what
ARIN should do with addresses it gets a hold of, "for now."

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004