[arin-ppml] ARIN-2011-3: Better IPv6 Allocations for ISPs - Last Call

Joe Maimon jmaimon at chl.com
Fri Apr 22 11:47:24 EDT 2011

ARIN wrote:
> The ARIN Advisory Council (AC) met on 13 April 2011 and decided to
> send a revised version of the following draft policy to last call:

I remember when policy proposals where abandoned, citing as a factor the
complexity in the proposal. I suppose they just were not complex enough.

Do we want the general public to be able to read this NRPM thing we are
crafting?

This proposal does nothing to change a fundamental and longtime ARIN
policy defect.

To the extent you can get away with it, profligacy is rewarded.

I support the proposal, reservations aside, as currently written,
primarily because ISP's are currently the only ones who do not get more
space then they can ever use.

IANA has more v6 than it can use.
ARIN has more v6 than it can use.
All RiR has more v6 than it can use.
End Users are encouraged to be assigned more space then they can ever
use in multiple lifetimes.

ISP's are the only ones that cant even get enough space to meet modest
projections of a decade or two out.

Joe