[arin-ppml] [arin-council] AC Role in Petitions

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Apr 21 02:36:11 EDT 2011

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 12:07 AM, Alexander, Daniel
<Daniel_Alexander at cable.comcast.com> wrote:
> Thank you for your response. You point out a topic the AC has debated on
> numerous occasions. On one end there is an AC that simply implements the
> will of the community. On the other end you have an AC as the primary
> development tool for community ideas.

Hi Dan,

One more nuance, but it's an important one. There is no end of the
spectrum at which the AC is the primary development tool for community
ideas. The AC isn't capable of it, regardless of who serves or how you
tweak the rules.

The AC is elected by the members, not the community. This assures the
election of individuals in tune with the membership, not necessarily
the wider community. In aggregate across all the AC members, it
virtually assures that the AC's prevailing opinion is consistent only
with the memberships'.

For the AC to _represent_ the community in the policy development
process, it would need to first be elected by the Inregion Internet
Users as a whole. And last I heard that notion is impractical at best.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004