[arin-ppml] ICP2 and the role of ARIN in an ipv4 address market

Benson Schliesser bensons at queuefull.net
Tue Apr 19 18:50:03 EDT 2011

On Apr 19, 2011, at 4:30 PM, John Curran wrote:

> On Apr 19, 2011, at 5:18 PM, Milton L Mueller wrote:
>> In that regard, I view John's invocation of ICP2 as off-target.
>>
>> ICP2 is about how to establish a new RIR. What is on the table now is not a new RIR, but a different regulatory model for the existing RIR in the North American region. ICP2 is completely irrelevant to the problem we face once legacy holders start to sell address blocks to others who may or may not choose to enter into an RSA with ARIN.
> To the extent that ARIN adopts policies that, within the region, create
> additional registry-like entities, would not the following language apply?

To the extent that ARIN has enabled RWhois for ISPs, does that create "additional registry-like entities"?

It seems to me that we might be using different semantics.  I see various ways that ARIN can open up registry management, without inherently creating an alternative registry system.

Cheers,
-Benson