[arin-ppml] ARIN-2011-6: Returned IPv4 Addresses - Last Call

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 14:39:06 EDT 2011

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 2:27 PM, Chris Grundemann <cgrundemann at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 11:32, Rudolph Daniel <rudi.daniel at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

> During previous discussions surrounding this proposal, we seemed to
> gain consensus that different address blocks are in different
> circumstances and may require longer or shorter hold-down periods to
> be useful. We also discussed the fact that as there is less and less
> IPv4 address space available, it may become prudent to shorten the
> hold-downs to get space out to those who have immediate need,
> irregardless of any "dirtiness" of the block. The last thing discussed
> was the varying workload of staff and their ability to meet an
> arbitrary time limit. Overall it appears that the best way to deal
> with this varied and changing environment it to provide guidance to
> ARIN staff (as soon as practicable) and let them determine the exact
> hold-down period necessary. If you feel that this is not the best
> course of action - we (the AC and particularly the shepherds of this
> proposal) would love to get that feedback!

Which would make setting hold periods a negative. The intent was to
insure that the addresses are returned to the free pool immediately
and then the administrative requirements can be dealt with. It's a
subtle yet important distinction which makes the policy predictable
vs. open to interpretation.

Best,

-M<