[arin-ppml] [arin-council] AC Role in Petitions

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Apr 18 19:12:20 EDT 2011

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 2:13 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote
> If every nuance of every discussion on every
> detail of every process were to take place on PPML, the noise level would
> greatly exceed signal and virtually nothing could get done.

Well, we wouldn't want that. Where's the public list that was set up
for folks interested in discussing PDP changes, so they could avoid
running roughshod over other PPML discussions?

>        I believe the plan is for the PDP committee to get to the point where
> they feel that the set of changes has good support from the AC and the
> BoT and then bring it before the community for further review.

I fear the PDP committee's plan is to solicit ideas privately, chew on
them in a back room and present a substantially finished "fait
accompli" product to the community. Sure, they'll condescend to make
minor adjustments, but by the time any of us out in the public see it,
it'll be too late to consider the general themes. They'll be set in
stone.

Which is what you just intimated with a somewhat different spin.

> I do not believe it is fair to characterize all forms of off-line work
> as "back-room dealings".

The folks in the inner circle never do. The idea that you can work
more effectively without the argument, debate and occasional vitriol
inherent in iteratively consulting the public is so very seductive...
The public will understand that we selected these people to shape our
ideas because they were the wisest people to talk to, not because
there was any funny business, right? We're honest and the public gets
that, don't they? And surely the bias introduced by selecting these
particular people won't greatly change the results from what an
informed public would have chosen, will it?

Seductive. And so very corrupting.

-Bill

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004