[arin-ppml] [arin-council] AC Role in Petitions

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 18:24:06 EDT 2011

On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 2:54 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> On Apr 17, 2011, at 2:15 PM, Randy Carpenter wrote:
> There seems to be a lot of stink over what I take to be a very simple thing.
>> The way I understand it is that the rule is only that AC members may not be counted as part of the required 10 to make a petition to reconsider an abandoned proposal. I don't think there is anything with that rule that prevents an AC member from expressing their opinion. Please correct me if I am wrong.
> That matches my understanding.

> As an important "safety valve" on decisions of the ARIN Advisory Council,
> it was felt the lowest possible petition threshold would be best.  Setting
> it at 10 members of the community was deemed the lowest value that was safe
> from the trivial abuse scenarios.

I am strongly opposed to the restriction against AC members weighing
in support/oppose
on a petition and being counted;   if there are dissenting members on the AC who
favor a petition,  their support should count towards reaching that
safety valve,
and they should be encouraged to participate in the discussions, same as any
community member.

So far the "10" threshold appears to have worked well,  as in,  there
aren't clear
examples of trivial abuse seen.  We don't exactly have an excessive build-up of
successful  petitions  forcing proposals with lack of community
support through the process.

The idea of increasing the threshold or restricting AC members from
participating,
appears to currently be a "solution" vainly in search of a problem.

Whereas excluding members of the community from participation or making the
threshold have an immediate possibility to  create more serious problems.

--
-JH